Within the Cataldo Mission chapel are two wood statues that were carved by knife. The viewer can identify the apse in the forefront of the inner sanctuary. This apse structure is a common relic of Greek style architecture.
|Found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataldo_Mission|
| Found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataldo_Mission|
Cataldo Mission is an official state park and National Historic Landmark also referred to as Mission of the Sacred Heart or Old Mission State Park. Present day Cataldo Mission consists of a church building and parishioner’s quarters on a reserved preservation of acres. It is located in Cataldo, Idaho and was originally built in 1848. An architect named Antonio Ravalli designed the Greek Revival/colonial structure. Father Pierre-Jean DeSmet with a little help originally scouted out the location in 1842 when he chose the original location of Cataldo Mission on the Saint Joe River. The original location on the Saint Joe River was subjected to flooding sparking a move to the Coeur d' Alene River in 1846 where the Cataldo Mission still stands in Cataldo, Idaho infamously known as the oldest building in the state of Idaho. Traders, settlers, and miners used Cataldo Mission as a supply station and also as a small port located on the Coeur d' Alene River.